What is VPS
Virtual Private Server (VPS) is a service of providing a dedicated virtual machine to a client. A virtual machine is a functional equivalent to a physical server. VPS is independent and separated from other virtual machines, thus ensuring the confidentiality of stored data. Virtual Dedicated Server (VDS) is a synonymous term.
For each virtual server you can install an operating system. Each virtual server has its own processes, resources, configuration, and a separate administration.
Hypervisor is a software, which aims to create, launch and management of resources the guest operating system (virtual machine). Hypervisor is installed on a physical server. The hypervisor allocates resources of a physical server for each virtual machine and enables guest operating systems' interrupts handling.
Benefits of Virtualization
- Low price
- A complete physical alternative to dedicated server
- Providing fault tolerance by allowing the automatic migration to other physical servers in the event of hardware failure
- Easy scalability of virtual server resources
- A guaranteed minimum of resources (memory, CPU time)
- The possibility of a full backup by creating snapshots of the entire system